How many times have I got a call from someone saying, ‘Hi Mr.Vel, how are you doing today?’ and ‘Good! Good!’ or ‘That’s great!’ after I’ve said ‘I’m OK’? The funny part is that I am sure, these cold callers would say the same ‘Good! Good!’ even if I said, ‘I’m not well.’ Quite often, web and SEO companies call me to say that they can help me get to the top of Google! I find it interesting.
The cold callers often say that they have researched our business and they found certain sure shot strategies for us. I love to tease and turn down the motivation of these kind of cold callers. Instead of answering their questions (perfectly crafted by someone claiming it to be the best approach to convert new customers), I question them! I make them admit that they know nothing about my business. What satisfaction :)
Anyway, the point is, through cold calling you might get 1 in a 1000 people to convert into a customer. Let me assure you that through thorough research and analysis, you will convert a lot more.
- Know the demographics of your lead / potential customer
- Find out what they might not have and that what they would like to have
- Gain some real insight on that particular ‘requirement’ of your lead
- Come up with a offer that is hard to refuse
- Finally, get creative when calling or emailing the lead. Most people can sense a cold call in the first 2 seconds.